St Anne’s Chapel (as it was first called) was built in 1824/25 by local subscriptions which were aided by a grant from the Incorporated Society for promoting the Enlargement, Building and Repairing of Churches and Chapels on the condition that 200 of the “sittings” were to be free and un-appropriated for ever. It was originally a Chapel of Ease under Colton and without a legally defined district; later a district was assigned to the Chapel from Colton and shortly afterwards a district was added from the parish of Cartmel. In 1866 when the then incumbent of Colton resigned the chapel became the Parish Church for Haverthwaite and the new consolidated district became a parish for all ecclesiastical purposes.
Much has happened in the intervening years, with the old Chapel being extended to the east and west, some reordering in the early 1920′s and the loss of the Vicarage which can just be seen in this image above to the left of the tower in the bottom 3rd of the picture. We lost the vicarage in the late 1960′s when the dual carriageway went through (A590) at the same time we lost the old school and with the proceeds a new vicarage and small church hall was erected in the early 1970′s.
A Potted History of notable dates at St Anne’s
1825: The chapel and the small piece of ground on which it stands were consecrated on 26th August by Dr Charles James Blomfield, Bishop of Chester.
1827: The western gallery was built by persons to whom pews were therein allotted.
1838: The chapel was extended eastwards and the work was paid for by subscriptions and aided by a further grant from the “Incorporated Society”
1844: A district of the Parish of Colton was legally assigned to this chapel the patronage of which was vested in the incumbent of Colton Parish Church.
1858: A district from the parish of Cartmel was added constituting Haverthwaite as a consolidated district. The augmentation of the Benefice raised by subscriptions saw the patronage vested in the incumbent of Colton and the Bishop of Carlisle alternatively, the first presentation resting with the former.
1866: The, Rev S T Clarke resigned the incumbency of Colton and the Chapel became a Parish Church with the consolidated district being a new parish for all ecclesiastical purposes.
1884: The east end was renewed and an organ and choir stalls erected
1885: New pulpit, lectern and prayer desk were erected at the east end in leiu of the old pulpit, reading desk and clerk’s desk which had previously been situated in the middle of the south side of the chapel.
1891: The Body of the church was re-seated by open seats of pitch pine, paid for by local subscriptions.
The Haverthwaite Church Registers begin as follows: -
Baptisms – November 1832*
Burials – February 1833*
Marriages – October 1862**
*Earlier baptisms and burials were registered in Colton and Cartmel
**No earlier marriages were celebrated here
Today in the 21st Century:
The Church looks a little different, not too much though and as you can imagine with a 200 year old building its never short of things to be replaced or repaired. The UK has a wealth of national and social history tied up in Church Buildings. From memorials and monuments to historical records for those who lived here before we were even thought of. Sadly it is always left to the few who support the building and faith to keep the church building alive and there for the community when any member of the community needs the church and the services it provides.
St Anne’s costs £77.00 a day to keep in good working order the vast majority of this comes from collections at church services and donations by regular parishioners and from some events that the church council and music group run annually.
We do get loads of fun from church activities and its sad that generations are missing out on the Fellowship of church life because of a society which has become more secular and insular. From the Beaver’s Colony to the Music Group there is loads to do and lots of fun to have while serving the community.
Why not join in with us?